Top 5 CBD Essential Oils for Headaches and How to Use Them
Best CBD Essential Oils for Relieving Headaches
Headaches can make your day aggravating and painful. Whether they are from tension, stress or some other bodily imbalance, they can slow us down and make work and home-life unbearable. Fortunately there are natural ways to relieve these and even prevent them! Here are the top 5 CBD essential oils for headaches and the best ways to use them.
Essential oils are incredibly adept at relieving headaches. This is largely due to the terpenes present in the oils which can have strong pain relieving properties. The menthol from peppermint is commonly used in pain-relieving creams, balms and lotions for it soothing and analgesic (pain-relieving) effects. But menthol is not the only compound that can save your head from the pounding of a headache. CBD, a powerful pain-reliever used alongside terpenes like menthol increase the efficacy of the oils and make them a great alternative to over-the-counter medications like Advil.
Before you grab any old essential oil and start rubbing it into your temples, you need to know its safe for your skin and how to properly use it to get the benefits you desire. Some oils, even though they may be deemed safer for direct skin contact, can leave your skin sensitive to light and UV rays. Other oils can can leave rashes on your skin or even worse, give you a burning sensation due to the high concentrations of essential oils. For those who are new to essential oils, conducting a patch test can save you from unwanted side effects.
Now that you at least have some background in oils, lets explore the best 5 essential oils for headaches!
Peppermint Essential Oil for Headaches
Peppermint CBD Essential Oil, as stated above, has menthol that helps to sooth muscles in your body. Since your brain is just one big muscle, its no shock that is one of the most used essential oils for headaches.
- Peppermint should be diluted in a carrier oil such as coconut oil or jojoba oil. A good recipe to start is 2 Tablespoons of carrier oil and 3 drops of peppermint. You should feel a cooling, soothing sensation when you apply it to your temples. You can increase the peppermint level as needed by adding a few more drops.
- A drop or two of Peppermint CBD Essential Oil can also be added to any hot beverage to help relieve headache when you don't want or have access to carrier oils to blend.
- Hot steam method is also a good choice. Simply add a few drops to bowl of hot water and inhale the steam as it rises. Use a towel over your head and bowl to prevent the aromas from escaping before you have a chance to benefit from them.
Lavender Essential Oil for Headaches
Lavender CBD Essential Oil is great for headaches and migraines triggered by stress. A 2013 study shows that this method is effective in providing relief for headaches and migraines.
- Dilute a few drops in 2 tablespoons of carrier oil and rub into your high stress areas. Increase drops as needed.
- Lavender CBD Oil can help relieve headaches by being inhaled from a personal diffuser for about 15 minutes.
- Don't have a diffuser, use the steam method by adding a few drops to a bowl of hot water and inhale the steam that evaporates. Use a towel to prevent the aromas from escaping before you have a chance to inhale them.
Rosemary Essential Oil for Headaches
Rosemary CBD Essential Oil provides pain relief and improves blood circulation. Rosemary also can aid insomnia and relax muscles which can also aid in the relieving headaches and even help prevent them when used daily.
- Like Lavender, the best way to use Rosemary CBD oil for headaches is to use a diffuser or steam method.
- Dilute a few drops in a carrier oil and add to a hot bath.
Chamomile Essential Oil for Headaches
Chamomile has similar effects to Rosemary and Lavender, relaxing your muscles and easing stress.
- The benefits are most noticeable when added to a diffuser, hot bath or steam method.
*Pregnant women should not use chamomile as it carries a risk of misscarriage.
Eucalyptus Essential Oil for Headaches
Eucalyptus CBD Essential Oil can help relieve tension headaches, especially when associated with a cold or sickness.
- Dilute is a carrier oils and apply it to your hcest to help clear sinuses and relieve tension.
- Add a few drops to a diffuser
- Use the steam mehtos by adding a few drops to a bowl of hot water and cover your head and the bowl with a towel.
Like our tips and tricks? Save this post as it will be updated frequently with new recipes and ideas on how to best use them to relieve headaches adn improve your daily life!