What you need:
1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
2 cups white chocolate pieces
2-3 mini candy canes (or peppermint candy or large candy canes–whatever works for you)
Peppermint essential oil (make sure it’s a pure grade oil that can be ingested–not all essential oils are created equal and not all are safe to ingest)
Here’s how to do it:
First, find a casserole or cookie sheet to use for this recipe. We prefer to use a 9 x 13 cookie sheet to keep the bark thinner and easier to bite into.
After you’ve got your pan, give it a light coat of coconut oil to keep the bark from sticking.
- Dump your chocolate chips in a small bowl
- Add about 1/2 tablespoon of coconut oil (this helps it be spreadable and also helps keep it more firm when it’s done and sitting at room temperature).
- It’s very critical you don’t overheat your chocolate. Overheated chocolate will get crunchy and taste terrible. An easy way to monitor the chocolate is to put it in the microwave for 1 minute. Pull it out and stir. It might not be very melted at this point but that’s okay. Stir anyway. Then, put it back in for 30 seconds to 1 minute. Pull it back out and stir some more. At this point is should be mostly melted and if you keep stirring it for a few seconds, the rest of the small chunks will melt. You can also use a double boiler to melt your chocolate if you would rather. Either way you’ll end at the same result.
- Dump this melted chocolate into the cookie sheet and use a spatula to evenly spread it over the entire surface.
- Put the pan with chocolate in the freezer to cool.
- While the chocolate firms up in the freezer, take a rolling-pin and crush 2-3 mini candy canes. If you’re careful, you can crush them right in the baggies they come in. If you don’t like taking chances, put the candy canes in a zip baggie and crush them like that. You’ll want mostly pretty finely smashed pieces, with some bigger chunks too. Set the crushed candy canes aside. If you are feeling frisky, you can also use this CBD candy cane recipe.
- Peek at the chocolate in the freezer. Once it’s totally hard and cold, it’s time to melt the white chocolate following the same directions as the dark chocolate. Add a bit of coconut oil to the white chocolate, put in microwave for 1 minute, stir, 30 seconds to 1 minute more, stir out the lumps.
- Once the white chocolate is smooth, add 2-5 drops of peppermint essential oil. We recommend you add a bit and taste it to see how you like it. A little peppermint essential oil goes a long way.
- After you’ve stirred the peppermint oil in, pull the frozen sheet of chocolate out of the freezer.
- Spread the white chocolate layer on top. You need to work quickly and not fuss too much with this 2nd layer because you don’t want this hot layer of candy to melt the bottom layer.
- Next, sprinkle the crushed candy cane over the top of the white layer while it’s still warm and melty.
- Put it all back in the freezer until hard.
- Pull out and break into pieces.