DIY CBD Shower Steamers
Now you can make your own CBD shower steamers
Add a new level of therapy to your showers with DIY CBD shower steamers made with CBD essential oils! Have you ever tried bath bombs? Shower steamers are very similar but designed to be used in showers creating a steaming, diffusion effect. The steam is filled with therapeutic essential oils and CBD that can be tailored to create different experiences from an invigorating, energetic shower to a calming, stress-reducing one. The therapeutic possibilities are endless and only constrained by the essential oil recipes used within.
Using essential oils in the shower is basically a diffusion method whereby the hot water is helping the oils to evaporate at a fast rate and use the steam which is rises to carry the oils up toward your nose and mouth to find its way to the limbic system. In essence, this is a full body diffuser that can direct the therapeutic benefits at one person in a semi-encapsulated environment. They are actually very simple to make, a lot of fun to experiment with and can save you time and money not buying them online or in stores. Here’s how to make your own shower steamers and a few recipes to help you decide which blends are best for you and your family.
How to make make shower steamers
You will need
Gather a few ingredients and a couple utensils to make and mold these little beauties.
- 2 Cups Baking Soda (About 1 box)
- 1 Cup Citric Acid
- Witch hazel spray or 3-5tbsp Water
- Essential Oils (about 10ml)
- Food Coloring (Optional)
- For larger steamers (about 8 per batch) use a regular size muffin pan or larger silicon molds. For smaller steamers (about 12 per batch) use a small muffin pan or similar sized silicon molds.
- Mixing utensil
- Mixing bowl
How to make make shower steamers
- Mix the baking soda and citric acid until it is well blended.
- Add your CBD infused essential oils or blends (between 120-180 drops depending upon the strength of aromas and therapy desired) and mix well.
- Optional: To create 2 color combos – Divide 1/3 of mix into a new bowl and add 1-2 drops of food coloring to start and blend well. Add more as desired to achieve color. Repeat process with the other part using a different color.
- You can use Witchhazel spray or 3-5tbs of water to lightly wet the mixture. Mix well until you can squeeze a handful and it stays together after opening your hand, like wet sand.
- If using ice trays, use a coconut or other type of spray to prevent sticking. Fill mods with mixture. If using food coloring, add the smaller separated mixture to the bottom of the molds about 1/3 full. Then fill up the rest of the each mold using the other larger colored mix.
- Compress the mixture well into the molds so they do not easy break when dried and removed.
- Dry, dry, dry. They will take several hours to a day to dry depending upon your temperatures of the home.
- Once dry, tap the bottom of the muffin pan or mold to release the steamers. Allow to fully for a least 1 full day.
- Add one to a shower and enjoy!
- Store the rest in an airtight container.
Which CBD essential oils work best in the shower?
There is a vast variety of essential oils that can be used effectively and therapeutically in the shower. Here are 4 recipes to help you get started. We have many more recipes on our blog that you can use or amend to suit your needs. In most cases, a recipe that has soothing effects around your home will have a good effect in the shower. For more intense therapy, use recipes with stronger oils like mints, citrus and other strong top notes that begin the experience but taper off to allow the other oils to add their benefits.
A few easy DIY shower steamer recipes
How much essential oil do I need to use?
The amount of essential oils needed is largely based on your own needs and intensity desired. For lower strength aromas, use 120-140 drops and for higher strength aromas simply enlarge the recipe further. It is always best to start slow and low when experimenting. We suggest making smaller batches when possible to test the effects before making full or larger batches. This will save you from unwanted side effects like nausea and skin or eye irritation. You can easily test a single shower steamer running hot water over it in a sink and holding your head over the rising steam to simulate the shower and test the pod. if it too light of aroma, increase. If it too strong, decrease the recipe size.
Now you know how to make your own CBD shower steamers! Try different recipes and blends to tailor your experience to exactly what you need. Steamers should be stored in an airtight jar to prevent the aromas from escaping and depleting. They make great gifts for family and friends with an added personal touch.