What Is Toenail Fungus?
Toenail fungus is a fungal infection that can get in through cracks in your nail or open cuts in your skin. Visually, toenail fungus can make your toenail change color and appear yellowish as well as thicker. Toenail fungus can also be painful. Since toes are often covered with socks and shoes, toes are often kept in warm and damp conditions which helps fungus to thrive. There are many different types of fungus that can create a toenail infection, and each can affect different parts of the nail.
Can You Use Essential Oils for Toenail Fungus?
Can essential oils help treat toenail fungus?
Toenail fungus is just that, a fungus. And as such, there are many all-natural alternatives to over-the-counter medications to help rid your nails of fungus. Lemon slices is a commonly used natural therapy which simply requires one to lay the pulpy part of the lemon slices over the nail to allow the citrus to penetrate the nail the same way the fungus does. An even more effective treatment for many, is essential oils.
Essential oils are comprised of the essence of the plant it was extracted from. They are very concentrated, and most cannot be used directly on the skin as a result. Many essential oils contain terpenes and other compounds that have their own benefits such as being antimicrobial, antibacterial and yes, antifungal. Essential oils have many other types of attributes such as pain relief, reducing inflammation and even aiding internal issues for us such as indigestion or nausea.
The best essential oils for nail fungus.
- Tea Tree
Tea Tree is well known for its ability to detoxify our skin and help nourish our hair. Tea tree, like most essential oils, requires a carrier oil in order to be used topically. While any carrier oil will help dilute the essential oil, the best carrier oils are olive oil and coconut oils as they are able to carry the oils better than most. You can also use essential oils like Tea Tree oil in a foot soak to allow for a wider degree of treatment and helps prevent the fungus from spreading. If you prefer something quicker, we also have a diluted infused essential oil blend recipe that can be applied like toenail polish to your infected toes daily until the infection resides.
Lemon essential oil has a low pH level due to its high citric acid content. Lowering the pH level of the infected area is an effective treatment for fungus since many types of fungus cannot live in lower pH levels. Like Tea Tree oil, lemon oil requires a carrier oil to help dilute it and can be used in a foot soak as well.
Can You Use CBD For Toenail Fungus?
Can CBD help treat toenail fungus?
CBD, short for cannabidiol, is one of hundreds of compounds in the hemp plant. Like essential oils, CBD has been shown to be effective antibacterial, antimicrobial and antifungal (2). And much like essential oils, CBD requires a carrier oil to carry the beneficial compounds into the body, or in this case, the nails. CBD and essential oils have their own synergy you can read about here. When combined, the effectiveness of body CBD and essential oils are amplified in a process called the Entourage Effect. With this type of synergistic relationship, it is easy to see why CBD infused essential oils make a fantastic all-natural alternative treatment for nail fungi.
$29.99 — or subscribe and save up to 25%Add to cart
How Do You Treat Toenail Fungus with CBD and Essentials Oils?
There are a couple different ways you can treat nail fungus; through a direct application applied much like nail polish and through soaks, such a foot soak. The most common method, is the direct application of diluted essential oils in a carrier oil.
Diluting CBD infused essential oils is easy and only requires the CBD essential oil(s) and a carrier oil. As stated above, a moisturizing carrier oil is typically the best choice as it helps to nourish and moisturize the dry skin a fungal infection can leave behind. To create the diluted oil, add the desired CBD essential oils in a carrier oil such as olive oil or coconut oil. Both carrier oils are effective in helping to moisturize the dry skin associated with the fungus and helping to carry the oil better. You will need a small brush or cotton swab to be able to place a healthy layer of the diluted oil directly on the nail and infected areas of the skin. Allow to air dry and fully absorb. Use daily with a dilution rate of 1-4% depending on your sensitivity to essential oils. If you do not know how essential oils will affect you or are using a new oil to try to treat the fungus, it is best to conduct a patch test since some of the carrier oil mix will most likely touch your skin around the toes.
To conduct a patch test, simply add a 1-2 drops of oil to a half teaspoon of carrier oil and mix. Apply a few drops to to a band-aid and place the bandage on the inside of your arm. Let the band-aid sit for 24 – 48 hours to ensure no allergic reaction or rashes occur. If a reaction occurs then do not use the essential oil you just tested.
Easy To Make DIY CBD Infused Foot Soak Recipe for toenail fungus
CBD Infused Foot Soak Recipe for toenail fungus
- 1 Whisk Fork or spoon will do as well for mixing.
- 1 Medium bowl
- 1 Small bowl
- 1 Measuring Cups
- 1 Measuring Spoons
- 1 Glass or plastic container Must hold 13-14 ounces of soak.
- 1 Cup Epsom Salt
- 1/2 Cup Baking Soda
- 20-40 Drops CBD Essential Oils See Recipes in Notes
- 2 Tbsp. Carrier Oil
- 2 Tbsp. (OPTIONAL) Polysorbate-80 Helps the oils blend with the water for a more immersive treatment.
- Combine Epsom Salt and baking soda in a bowl and mix well.
- In a smaller bowl add the carrier oil, essential oils and polysorbate (if using) and mix well.
- Pour the carrier oil/essential oil mix into the larger bowl and mix well until the oils are completely incorporated.
- Store in an airtight container and use as needed.
CBD Essentials Oil Blend RecipesCBD Infused Tea Tree Essential Oil (30 Drops Tea Tree, 10 Drops Peppermint) CBD Infused Lemon Essential Oil ( 30 Drops Lemon, 10 Drops Peppermint) CBD Infused Lavender Essential Oil (30 Drops Lavender, 10 Drops Tea Tree or Eucalyptus) CBD Infused Peppermint Essential Oil (30 Drops Peppermint, 10 Drops Lemon, Lavender or Eucalyptus) CBD Infused Eucalyptus Essential Oil (30 Drops Eucalyptus, 10 Drops Lemon)
Easy To Make DIY CBD Infused Thieves Oil Essential Oil Blend for toenail fungus
A great recipe to help get rid of toenail fungus is an infused essential oil blend of Cinnamon, Clove, Eucalyptus, Lemon and Rosemary, also known as Thieves Oil and a carrier oil.
CBD Infused Thieves Oil Essential Oil Blend for toenail fungus
- 2 15mL bottle with paintbrush applicator You can also simply use an essential oil bottle with dropper orifice and a cotton ball to apply the nail fungus oil.
- 24 mL Carrier Oil of your choice Recommended: Olive Oil, Coconut Oil, Sweet Almond Oil or Jojoba Oil
- 20 Drops Cinnamon
- 40 Drops Clove
- 15 Drops Eucalyptus
- 35 Drops Lemon
- 10 Drops Rosemary
- Pour Carrier Oil into an amber or non-opaque bottle.
- Add CBD infused essential oils
- Shake Well and allow time to fully incorporate (2-24 hours)
- Use brush, cotton ball, cotton swab to apply a healthy layer of oil to your infected toenails.
- Repeat daily until infection resides and is completely gone.
SPEED TIP: In order to speed up the results and increase the effectiveness, the essential oils can be used in a foot soak up to 3 times a week in conjunction with the diluted oil directly on the affected nail(s).
Essential Oil blend recipes for fighting toenail fungus
CBD Infused Tea Tree Essential Oil (30 Drops Tea Tree, 10 Drops Peppermint)
CBD Infused Lemon Essential Oil ( 30 Drops Lemon, 10 Drops Peppermint)
CBD Infused Lavender Essential Oil (30 Drops Lavender, 10 Drops Tea Tree or Eucalyptus)
CBD Infused Peppermint Essential Oil (30 Drops Peppermint, 10 Drops Lemon, Lavender or Eucalyptus)
CBD Infused Eucalyptus Essential Oil (30 Drops Eucalyptus, 10 Drops Lemon)
Other natural alternatives for headache relief
Tips to avoid toenail fungus reinfection
It is highly recommended to follow these best practices during treatment and following recovery.
- Ensure your feet are washed regularly.
- Completely dry your feet after washing (Make sure areas between toes are fully dry as well.
- Moisturize your toenail following washing and drying.
- Keep toenails trimmed straight across. You should file down areas that have thickened.
- Make sure to disinfect nail clippers with alcohol after each use.
- DO NOT use nail polish on infected toenail.
- Wear shoes that are breathable to allow air to pass through.
- Treat older shoes with antifungal sprays or powders or throw them out.
- Wear flip-flops or slides in locker rooms, pool areas and community showers.
- Wear sweat-absorbing socks made of natural fibers to help keep your feet dry while wearing shoes.
- Change socks 1 -2 times during the day.
Now you know how you can use CBD and essentials as an all-natural alternative remedy for nail fungus. When trying these methods, make sure to use proper dilution levels to avoid unwanted skin reactions. As this is a natural therapy, continued routine use is key for successful removal and prevention, especially if you are prone to getting the fungus.
be.Happy, be.Healthy, be.Essential!